I'm sorry if you're sick of hearing about our son's bowel movements, but I gotta believe that since you're following the progress of a baby with a serious GI defect you're probably not surprised to hear about how proud I am that he pooped last night AND this morning! (don't worry, no pictures this time...) As excited as I am about that, it unfortunately doesn't allow us to move any faster with initiating feeds. His belly is still a little distended, though it is getting noticeably better every day, and his bowel did go through a lot of trauma, so the surgeons still want to go slow. Its frustrating, but at the same time I am thankful for the great progress our son has made and will continue to make. The IV nutrition he is currently getting can be hard on other body organs, but everyone assures me that he is big enough and we will discontinue it soon enough that he will easily recover. Its a delicate balance between giving the bowel enough time to heal and protecting his liver, but as of right now protecting the bowel is our priority.
Today is my first day and night at home, which is difficult but necessary. Staying in the hospital makes time sort of stand still, which only makes things harder because we have such a long way to go. I also have lots of "life" things to take care of at home. I think (and hope) once we get into a set routine, things will get easier.
On our drive home from the hospital this morning Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas is You" came on the radio and Emerson and I both started to get emotional and had to turn it off. The good news is that several people have told us there is a very good chance he will be home for Christmas if he tolerates the feeds once we start...
All we want for Christmas is you at home Baby Boy!!!
How we spent our morning:

No comments:
Post a Comment