Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mag Sucks

So what was supposed to be an uneventful day at the OB has turned into a much-too-exciting day in labor and delivery...

After my regularly scheduled OB appointment I went over for my regularly scheduled weekly BPP and NST and it turns out that my extreme discomfort over the past couple days - and especially this morning - was warranted. From the minute the hooked me up to the monitor, they saw I was having some pretty heavy contractions every six minutes. So after about 2 hours of that, they gave me a shot of terbutaline. When that didn't work, they have me another shot of terbutaline, followed by a dose of nifedipine, but that still did nothing to stop the contractions. So after almost 5 hours of regular contractions that only got stronger, my OB decided to pull out the big guns and put me on magnesium sulfate for 36 hours. 

Let me just tell you - Mag SUCKS! The initial dose made me very hot and flushed and I sorta felt like my whole body was on fire. Luckily, the first dose goes in the fastest, and after an hour they slowed the rate way down and now its not nearly so bad - though I'm still not thrilled about the idea of being in the hospital for the next 2 days. 

Even though Philip looked great on the ultrasound and he's handling the contractions like a champ, they really want him to get at least another week in the womb so his lungs can fully develop (oh yeah, I also got a shot of steroids to help with his lung development - another pretty terrible experience). The last thing we want is for him to have respiratory problems on top of the gastroschisis. 

So I'll have my phone and my computer, and of course my WONDERFUL hubby to keep me company, but we could definitely use some moral support. I love my job as a nurse, but I am a terrible patient (luckily my nurses have all been pretty awesome). Let's hope I get out of here by Saturday and we don't come back for another week - I could really use another week at home with my hubby and doggy before the real excitement begins. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry! i hope baby Philip behaves himself for one more week!! I also hope you are as comfortable as you can possibly be right now....love you!

    ReplyDelete